Requirements to Study in Canada for International Students
Without a doubt, Canada is one of the best countries to study in ! Educational standards are high, courses are recognized around the world, and foreign students are welcome and able to work. The only “barrier” is the requirements to study in Canada.
Hey, but don’t be discouraged! Meeting the requirements to study in Canada is not an impossible mission and you will realize it when you read this post.
Today, we will explain what to study in Canada and how to do it and, since we are experts on the subject, you will get good answers.
Do not miss it!
What are the reasons to study in Canada
Years of experience have shown us that studying in Canada changes anyone’s life and you know it as well as we do. Of course it’s normal to feel a bit hesitant, so we’ve put together a list of reasons that will show you why you should travel to Maple Country.
- The education system is so good that the United Nations (UN) rated Canada as one of the 10 best countries in the world to live in.
- The student permit authorizes you to study in Canada and work part time.
- Education is quite accessible. Experts estimate that studying in Canada is 20-40% cheaper than studying in the United States or the United Kingdom.
- Universities offer up-to-date and innovative study programs. Especially, in the area of Technology, Artificial Intelligence and Engineering.
- Higher level studies make you a candidate to apply for permanent residence .
- Crime rates are very low. In fact, the country of the maple is considered one of the safest nations in the world.
- Canadians reject discrimination of any kind, so you will be welcome from day 1 and have the same opportunities as natives.
- Canada has it all: museums, restaurants, bars, clubs, festivals , ski resorts, beaches… In short, you will always have something to see and never get bored!
You don’t need more reasons to study in Canada, right? So decide which course you want to take, qualify to study in Canada, and set sail! If you are still not very clear, keep reading, because we will talk about these points in detail in the following sections.
What to study in Canada
Meeting the requirements to study in Canada opens up a world of possibilities! The academic offer in the country of the maple is very large and the schools offer internationally recognized first-level courses that adapt to all types of budgets.
However, and for practical purposes, the opportunities to study in Canada can be divided into 3 categories: English and French courses, technical courses or Career Programs, and university programs. Let’s review them in detail so you know which one is ideal for you.
Language courses in Canada
Over the years, Canada has established itself as one of the best countries to learn English and French. The schools offer intensive and general courses designed for students to speak as well as a native once they get their certificate.
>>>> How to get the Best Jobs in Canada for Foreign Professionals
If your goal is to certify your level of English, these specialized academies offer exam preparation programs as well. It is undeniable that these tests are demanding, so it is not a bad idea to take a course with native speakers and guarantee your success.
Technical courses or Career Programs (Co-Op)
By studying in Canada, it is possible to become professional in 6 months! Simply take a Career Program , which is a theoretical-practical course taught in Canadian colleges and designed for you to pursue a career with the essential knowledge.
The offer is very wide! By meeting the requirements to study in Canada, you can train in Hospitality, Business, Digital Marketing , Sports… In short, you will have many options to compare and choose the one that best suits your goals.
Bachelors and Masters
If you are about to enter university, go study in Canada ! The University of Toronto , the University of Waterloo and the University of Calgary are among the top 50 institutions in the world, which means that a university education in Canada is excellent.
Furthermore, Canadian universities offer Bachelor ‘s and Master’s degrees in different areas that are recognized by employers at an international level and are updated to meet market demands. Once you graduate, you’ll get a job fast!
Since you already have an idea of what you can study in Canada, it’s time to talk about the main topic of this article: the requirements to study in Canada. Look for paper and pencil, because, in the next section, we will tell you so that you can clarify all your doubts.
What are the requirements to study in Canada
Canadian immigration policies are quite flexible, so qualifying to study in Canada is not as complicated as you think. Next, we will explain the basic requirements for you to organize your trip to study in Canada as soon as possible.
Administrative requirements to study in Canada
Having a valid passport throughout your stay in the country of the maple is one of the main requirements to study in Canada . In addition, you must apply for a visa to study in Canada depending on how long you want to stay and whether or not you are looking to work.
- Visitor visa : authorizes you to study in Canada for 6 months only.
- Study permit : allows you to live in Canada for more than 6 months and until you finish your course, and work 20 hours a week as long as you do not take a language course.
- Working Holiday visa : authorizes you to stay for 1 year. During that time, you can study in Canada for 6 months and work with unlimited hours even if you are learning English or French .
In addition to this, one of the requirements to study in Canada is to contract health insurance . International students do not have medical coverage and paying for these expenses on your own could leave you broke, health in Canada is expensive!
Economic requirements to study in Canada
To study in Canada, the government requires you to have a minimum of $917 CAD per month to pay your tuition and cover your expenses. When applying for your visa, you must prove that you have these funds by presenting one of these requirements to study in Canada.
- Document showing that you are the holder of an account in a Canadian bank.
- Proof document that a bank issued you a student loan.
- Bank statements of, maximum, 4 months old.
- Bill of exchange issued by a bank and that can be converted into Canadian dollars.
- Certificate of payment of your course registration and your accommodation.
- If applicable, letter issued by the person or institution that is financing your trip to study in Canada.
- Proof that you have a scholarship to study in Canada.
Academic requirements to study in Canada
If you want to learn English or French, you can study in Canada without finishing high school. However, there are some requirements to study in Canada that you must meet in order to take a Career Program or enroll in a Canadian university.
- Have your high school diploma.
- If this is the case, pass an admission test made by the university where you want to study.
- If necessary, write a letter explaining your reasons for studying in Canada.
- To take a postgraduate or master’s degree, submit a letter of recommendation from a professional or a professor specialized in the field in which you want to train.
Language requirements to study in Canada
Depending on the course you want to take, speaking English or French is one of the requirements to study in Canada.
Language schools, and some academies that teach technical courses, do not require a minimum level in any of these languages to study in Canada.
>>>> What is the Cost of Living in Canada for Foreign Students?
Despite this, mastering English or French is one of the requirements to study in Canada if you want to take certain Career Programs or enroll in university. On top of that, you must accredit it by presenting an official English exam : the TOEFL or the IELTS.
Well, fulfilling what we have told you so far, you can study in Canada. However, you must meet additional requirements to study in Canada when applying for your visa, so before planning your trip, decide which one suits you and research what other documents you need so that you do not miss anything.